Make your own free website on

Thackley Sports F.C

Latest Match Report

The Squad
Player Profiles
Results & League Tables
Photo Gallery
Latest Match Report

Thackley Sports latest game......


Wharfedale Pirates V Thackley Sports 26/2/06. Kick Off 10.30 am


Thackley Sports,

Team,Nurthen,Chrisitie,Maude,Foster,Waller, Johnstone,Midgley (c), Armstrong,Dyson,Lumley,Clarke Subs Chell , S Midgley.


An extremely cold and windy February morning welcomed Thackley to a tricky away fixture at Rawdon, Having beaten a weakened Wharedale Pirates team earlier in the season 4-0 we new it wouldn’t be an easy fixture as they had some old faces back in there starting line up, Thackley remained unchanged following there 9-1 quarter final cup win at bankfoot but welcomed back Paul chell who returned through injury. Thackley new only a win would keep them on course for the title.


The game kicked off with both teams battling for possession it was quite a scrappy affair as the wind was making it a tricky to get the ball under control but the first chance fell to thackley,  Waller playing a fantastic ball through the pirates defence Clarke found himself one on one with the keeper but dragged his attempt wide. Armstrong and Midgley were battling well in midfield but Pirates were working hard to stop them, another chance fell to Clarke the tireless Lumley threading a ball to Clarke whose pace was causing there defence all sorts of problems  again wasted the opportunity, the first goal arrived against the run of play a sloppy ball out of defence was pounced upon and a hopeful ball found the Wharedale striker in an off side position but the ref had missed it, the unmarked player crossed the ball and the wharedale player finished coolly past the helpless Nurthen who had yet touched the ball. 1-0.


With in 5 minutes Thackley were level, yet another foul by wharedale led to a free kick 25 yards from goal, Midgley and Johnstone stood over the ball but it was left to Johnstone to curl an unstoppable shot into the left hand corner (David Beckham eat your heart out) 1-1. the rest of the first half was again scrappy with no chances for either side Johnstone and Armstrong picked up bookings.. The whistle was blown for half time 1-1.


Thackley are known for the flowing football this hadn’t been played in the first half, the manager told us just be calm and it will come.


Thackley started the 2nd half a completely different side, slick passing and confidence on the ball, no team this season has lived with thackley when they play like this and pirates were no different, within the space of 2 minutes Clarke had a brace his 21st and 22nd goals of the season coming in a flash with 2 superb finishes , knock him at your peril because he will punish you. Armstrong was totally bossing the middle of the park with Johnstone,Waller and Midgley playing some lovely stuff. The 4th goal came 5 minutes later Waller collecting the ball in his own half floating past 3 defenders before a delicate chip from the edge of the box dropped into the back of the net, brilliant. Nurthen and his defenders were never really tested again, Chell replaced Christie and S Midgley replaced Lumley who hadn’t scored but had worked extremely hard as usual.

The final nail in the coffin was delivered by the player manager S Midgley he collected a fantastic shot/pass from Armstrong turned his marker to collect his first goal of the season 1 more than Armstrong has managed all season. 1-5


Final Whistle


This could’ve been a potentially tricky game but the 2nd half performance made it a comfortable victory for us and another 3 points to keep us top of the League and hopefully the first championship in the sports history.


Up The Sports!